Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading


Mayo: Saint Mary's Catholic Church, Ballinrobe

Saint Mary's Catholic Church can trace its origins back to a reasonably humble parish church erected to a design by Richard Pierce (1801-54) of Wexford drawing on his early career as clerk-of-works to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-52).  Later additions, continuing on well into the twentieth century, saw the church completely transformed and included new side aisles designed by Rudolph Maximilian Butler (1872-1943) of Dublin.  It is here that the visitor will see the remarkable collection of stained glass commissioned from Harry Clarke (1889-1931) by Reverend Edward A. D'Alton PP (1865-1941).  A set of four windows in the south aisle depicts scenes from The Life of Christ and The Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The so-called "Early Irish Saints Series" fills the north aisle and includes depictions of Saint Brendan, Saint Colman, Saint Gormgail and Saint Kieran, amongst others.

Click here to view the NIAH record

Click here to return to Places to See in County Mayo